Storage Tips Before You Store
July 13th, 2021
- Purchase store insurance or show proof of renters insurance. To protect everyone.
- Utilize all the space in your unit. Use pallets, 2 x 4’s, or plywood, or freestanding shelves to keep things off the floor. Plan how you are going to arrange your unit. Leave an aisle in the center of your unit so that you have a walk way to the back of the unit.
- Pack so you can find things later. Clear boxes, totes you can see through or label boxes on multiple sides. When packing boxes fill them without making them too heavy to lift (dont put too many books in one box, makes it too heavy to lift). Do not use printed newspaper for wrapping. The ink may smudge and get on your items.
- Stack boxes accordingly. Put the heavier boxes on the bottom and the lighter ones on top of the heavier ones. You dont want crushed boxes. Store frequently needed items towards the front of the unit.
- To protect your items cover them with moving pads, sheets, or light blankets.
- Disassemble bulky items tables, bed frames, desks. Wrap and label all pieces, better when you have to reassemble them. Put all hardware in bags and tape to item after labeled. Electronics have numerous cords, place small colored stickers on the cord and the same color sticker where the cord goes. After you breakdown the bed you are left with the mattresses and box springs storage on long edges. Wrap for protection and elevate off the floor. Use two to three 2 x 4’s cut to 1 foot long. If it is possible store couches on end. Stack chairs seat to seat. Use the inside of appliances and drawers to store smaller items. When stacking furniture use paper pads in between the items to avoid scratching.
- Appliances must be clean and dry before storing them and opened up to prevent mildew.
- Store mirrors and paintings on end. It is best not to store flat to prevent stepping on. Pack books or boxes flat evenly to protect their spines.
- Rust prevention rub a small amount of machine oil on metal tools, bicycles, and equipment. Drain and clean all debris from all equipment before you store them. Place an oil mat down or box down to catch the oil drips.
- Clothing and draperies should be stored in wardrobe boxes, on hangers, to retain their original shapes.Keep out of season clothes accessible.
- Be aware of your surroundings when you are in your unit. Please dont let others inside the building when you are unloading.
- DO NOT COVER your belongings in plastic. It retains moisture.
- DO NOT STORE any food items, to prevent pests.
- DO NOT STORE any toxins or flammables such as paint, oil, or gasoline.